KNORR CRUISE SYNOPSIS
|Voyage - Leg:||KN 189-02|
|Voyage Dates:||24 Apr - 23 May, 2007|
|Chief Sci(s):||Richard Fairbanks (Fairbanks)|
|Address:||Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory|
210 Isotope Lab
Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
6100 RT 9W
Palisades, NY 10964
|Cruise Objective:||Wireline core fossil reefs on the Shallows Bank 10 km south of Barbados. Need to maintain station for 30 to 48hr continuous drilling of limestone targets. When swells limit drilling on the Shallows Bank we will move to the lee of the island and drill equivalent targets. When drilling delayed we will map drowned reefs with Seabeam to prospect for new coring targets.|
|SSSG Tech:||sssg @knorr.whoi.edu|
|Departure Port:||Bridgetown, Barbados|
|Agent:||Master R/V Oceanus|
Attn: Scientist's Name
c/o DaCosta Mannings Inc.
Contact: Glyne St. Hill
tel. (246) 430-4804
fax: (246) 431-0051
|Arrival Port:||Bridgetown, Barbados|
|Agent:||Same as above|
|Installed Scientific Equipment:||12 & 3.5 kHz Transducers - Bathy|
Gravity Corer (WHOI will provide 20 - 10ft liners)(APR 6/EC)
Pinger for Wire Use
Seabeam (sci party will have data person)(APR 6/EC)
|WHOI-Provided Science Tools:|
|Program-Provided Science Tools:||Wireline coring rig will mounted over the instrument well and drill riser and drill string will be deployed through the seafloor. Water depth will be checked with wire and pinger.|
The drill rig and equipment will be in two 20' containers + a rack of 20' drill pipe).
Link to drill equipment: http://www.ackerdrill.com/1-8.htm
Frame of drill rig: 17ft L x 7ft wide
20 Ft Container - needs 110Volts
Portable Compressors will be aboard
|Other Requirements:||Night Work Anticipated|
Driller to bridge communication critical. Ship's crane handling of 4.25" API oil well pipe.
|Notes:||Gravity and |
Moon pool required opened 30 March
Basic Operations Plan:
12 & 13 April: Science Party will load at WHOI drill rig and equipment ( needs 2 days to load an secure equipment).
April 22, 2007 Arrive Barbados
April 23, 2007 (Day 1) Mobilize coring rig
* April 24, 2007 (Day 2) Mobilize coring rig, board crew, depart for Shallows
* April 24 to May 23, 2007 Core sites 1 through 7 weather permitting. When wave heights exceed 2 meters then move into the lee of the weather and core offshore South Point on a transect between our former (R/V Ranger 88) coring sites #9 (13.0433N; 59.5556W) and #12 (13.0483N; 59.5531W).
* May 23, 2007 return to Bridgetown to demobilize the coring rig and prepare containers for shipping to NY.
* May 24, 2007 science crew departs for NY.
Location of Activity on the Barbados Coast:
SITE# LAT. LONG. DEPTH SITE DESCRIPTION
1 12o59.2’N; 59o26.7’W 80m largest pinnacle, highest energy
2 12o58.7’N; 59o29.5’W 90m smallest pinnacle
3 12o59.4’N; 59o28.5’W 90m most leeward/sheltered pinnacle
4 12o 7.4’N; 59o30.3’W 90m western end of bank
5 12o58.5’N; 59o28.3’W 90m middle of bank
6 12o59.3’N; 59o27.9’W 60m shallowest pinnacle
7 12o58.4’N; 59o28.2’W 120m seaward edge of 120m platform
• Time permitting, coring transects between these sites will be attempted to be determined based on the initial core descriptions. When wave heights exceed 2 meters then move into the lee of the weather and core offshore South Point on a transect between our former (R/V Ranger 88) coring sites #9 (13.0433N; 59.5556W) and #12 (13.0483N; 59.5531W). During weather related shut-downs we propose to carry out routine Multi-beam surveying of the ridges paralleling the Barbados coast where we have run coring operations in past years. These surveys will allow us to combine our coring results with the geomorphology of the Barbados offshore ridges and better integrate our extensive onshore coring results with their offshore equivalents.
Ship crane needs: load and unload drill pipe at start and end of each 24hr period + 3-6 times in each 24hr period.
Drill crew watches: 2 drill operators on each 12 hr watch + 1 watch supervisor per 24hr period.
Use of ships fire hose/Sea water pump system
Drill rig needs 20-40gal diesel per 24hrs. Science will supply fuel containers.
1 possible personnel transfer during the cruise
|Navy Clearance Status:|
|US Customs Form||Yes||Equipment will be loaded in Woods Hole and off loaded in Barbados.|
|Isotope Use Approval||No|